31 Mom Things
In honor of my 31st birthday, here is a quick list of some mom things I’ve learned in my years of motherhood. This is not an exhaustive, detailed, or specific list; but a few truths off the top of my head from my motherhood journey so far:
- There is nothing quite like holding your baby for the first time.
- With each child you do not divide your love, you gain more love.
- Give hugs, kisses, and I Love Yous generously.
- It should be a law that finger and toe nails should not grow until the child is able to trim them him or herself.
- Baby laughs are universally mood boosting.
- Your kids are never too young to learn about Christ- sing them Bible verses, get them a boardbook Bible, pray over and with them.
- Do not wake a sleeping baby!
- Stretch! You essentially become a ninja maneuvering under a sleeping baby, handing toys/snack to the backseat while driving, reaching long lost toys that have been dropped in the hardest to reach spaces…
- Not all strollers are created equal.
- Hold your children to your expectations (manners, behavior) from the beginning so they don’t know any different when they are older.
- Graham crackers are very, very messy.
- Keep wipes in several rooms in the house, in your bags and purses, and in your car. At.all.times.
- Catching bodily fluids with minimal mess should be a skill point on a resume.
- YouTube Kids is amazing! So many educational cartoons!
- YouTube Kids is horrible! Finger family and surprise egg/toy shows!
- The joy of watching brothers grow up together is one of the greatest in my life.
- Cultivate their interests. Even if it doesn’t interest you (spoiler: it will probably begin to interest you!)
- Nothing reminds you of how ridiculous the English language is like teaching your child to read.
- Your kids are not perfect and neither are you.
- Find a sitter! They are out there waiting and you and your kids will love them!
- Read to your kids and let them read to you. It is not wasted time!
- Messes can be cleaned, but memories last forever.
- Kids brains are like pinballs- bouncing around from topic to topic and quickly forgetting what they were doing or where they were going.
- Putting on the sunscreen or layering on the snow gear is worth it- get them outside!
- Create boundaries for your kids and your family- protect your families physical, emotional, and spiritual health.
- Ask forgiveness from your kids when you have wronged them.
- Focus on teaching your children life skills and not only on test scores.
- Surround yourself with like-minded mamas for support and encouragement- even if just “oh! You let your kids eat snacks off the ground too? Awesome!”
- You’ll look back on the hardest of times with strength and perseverance knowing you survived.
- Time goes so fast and babies grow quickly.
- Always remember that your children belong to God and you are merely the steward over their lives.
Every day I learn more about motherhood and more about the deep, deep love of our Heavenly Father. I praise Him for giving me another year to serve Him by serving my littles. I pray I grow more into the mother He has called me to be and mirror His image far more than my own.
What has surprised you most in motherhood?